You either know me or you don’t. And you either know these things about me or you don’t. And it either matters or it doesn’t, but here they are, anyway: seven things about me.
1) I strongly dislike celery. A vile creature. Capable of wrecking an otherwise enjoyable meal. Should be banned.
2) The fact that I have four more very full days of work ahead of me before the holidays makes me desperate and jubilant in equal measure.
3) Lately I’ve been made happy by this:
4) I hold no authority over teenagers.
5) I need a lot of silence. Every day. Sometimes it may be noisy silence, with a dozen voices talking inside my head, but I need it. Crave it. Have a very hard time managing without it.
6) I often fail to take care of things to do with the real world, such as tax issues, job applications, insurance… I don’t think I should become self-employed.
7) When I’m tired enough, I lose my command of any and all languages I know and end up wondering for example about the difference between ‘loving’ and ‘being in love’, except that I couldn’t remember the word for the former and was actually just repeating ‘in love/…?’ in my head over and over. (And before you ask: no, I wouldn’t say I’m in love.) When I’m tired enough, I end up standing in front of the clocking machine at work in the morning genuinely wondering whether I should press ‘in’ or ‘out’.
7 1/2) I’m tired enough.